CHECK IN
CHECK OUT

Attractions of the region

 

Museum of Klodzko Land (Kłodzko)

Previously, a Jesuit boarding school was located here. It was built from 1622 as a result of joining five tenement houses and remained unchanged until the completion of the east wing in the years 1753 - 1754. After renovation in 1978-1986 the Museum of Kłodzko Land was established there.
The most beautiful museum interiors include: the library - formerly a refectory, the concert hall, where there was once the Chapel of St. Aloysius, the Golden Salon, the conference room and a baroque staircase. The museum houses numerous collections, the largest being: the Silesian clocks, a collection of tin, coins, and unique glass.
The museum's library has an interesting collection of regional literature, numbering over 7,000 volumes. The museum organizes readings, lectures, museum lessons, concerts and exhibitions.

 


 

The Kłodzko Fortress and Labyrinths

One of the most interesting and characteristic monuments of Kłodzko is the Kłodzko Fortress, famous throughout Europe (the Forteczna Mountain 369 metres above sea level).
Its origins date back to the tenth century and the period of formation of the city, which up to the seventeenth century was frequently reinforced. Starting from 1622, systematic militarization of the castle and conversion into a fortress was carried out by the Austrians, until 1742 when the city and the fortress fell under Prussian rule...


... It was then that by order of Frederick the Great, the fortress was expanded, at the same time removing all traces of the Renaissance castle, chapels and church.
The walkways of the main Fortress have several levels and two ring roads, and their total length is 40 km, out of which approx. 1 km is open to the public The part of fortifications available to explore makes up only 10% of the defence facility which includes the underground labyrinths, mining corridors and a lapidarium.
The underground passages, corridors, dungeons, and sidewalks date back to different eras, the oldest are the remains of medieval monastic cellars and Renaissance castle, but most casemates and sidewalks were built in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries.


 


 

The Underground Tourist Route

of the name of the Millennium of Polish Country

It was made available to the public on 4 December 1976 and is one of the most interesting underground routes in Poland. It leads through part of an extensive system of old cellars and dungeons beneath the Old Town, reaching several storeys below street level, with a length of approx. 600 meters and runs from Zawiszy Czarnego street to the exit near the Fortress, close to Grodzisko street. The part intended for touring is fully illuminated, and a few offshoots are being prepared for historical exhibitions. In the underground we will encounter an old furnace, a well, an exhibition presenting the model of the French guillotine and an executioner's axe.


The Parish Church

of the Assumption of the BVM in Kłodzko

One of the most important temples in the Kłodzko area and throughout the Sudetes, in terms of construction, as well as the wealth of the preserved interior. It is also one of the largest churches in the area. It is 62 metres long and 22 metres wide.
Throughout the entire period of its existence the parish church passed from hand to hand, which it owes its uniqueness to. Construction of the church began in 1194, but the cornerstone wasn't placed until 1344 at the initiative of Arnost of Pardubice...


 


... In the sixteenth century, the north tower, called the Black Tower, was completed. The sixteenth century is considered the end of constructing churches in the Gothic style. Because of the long construction time it does not have a single style. Some elements of the church were built later - in the seventeenth century - the sacristy, chapels and galleries in the aisles.

In the eighteenth century the interior was replaced and supplemented with the Baroque style in mind. Until the nineteenth century the church was surrounded by a cemetery, from which the only part left now is a late-baroque gate with figures of 3 saints, known as the Black Gate.
 

The Paper Industry Museum

in Duszniki Zdrój

The Paper Industry Museum in Duszniki Zdrój is the only professionally managed museum in Poland dedicated to papermaking. It collects, develops and makes available collections in the domains of history of papermaking, printing, the history of Duszniki Zdroj. It is also vividly interested in the art of paper, collaborating with artists creating works of art with paper. In addition, the educational offer of the museum and research activity are well-known.
Currently, the museum in Dusznik Zdrój is one of the most significant tourist sites in the Kłodzko area - annual attendance is more than 50 thousand people.


 


 

Fryderyk Chopin Manor House

in Duszniki Zdrój

The building was established in 1802-1805 as a social house, where the cultural life of the then spa was focused. The construction was carried out by Kretchmer, a carpenter and Stiller, a bricklayer; the designer was an architect, H. Geissler. In 1808 a billiards room was built on the north side. In 1826 Fryderk Chopin gave concerts there. The manor house is situated near the Bystrzyca Dusznicka river in the Spa Park. Currently, numerous piano concerts, theatre performances, spa concerts and other evenings with music and exhibitions are held there. Fryderk Chopin Manor House is also the venue for the annual International Chopin Festival.


Zieleniec – SKI Arena

There is an attractive centre of winter sports in Zieleniec, popular amongst tourists during the ski season. Zieleniec has 22 ski lifts, numerous ski schools and ski equipment rentals.
 


 


 

Spa Park in Kudowa- Zdrój
The central place of Kudowa Zdroj visited by tourists and patients is the spa park. Created in the eighteenth century, where the mineral springs flow out of the foot of the mountain called "Parkowa". Its most exuberant bloom was noted in the 1920s. The rich park vegetation, varied depending on the season, is rich in agave, cacti, prickly pear, dracaena, sago palms and rhododendrons. Going to the Park from the side of Zdrojowa street we pass the Pump rooms with mineral waters and a concert hall. In the Pump room it is worth noting the frescoes by A. Molnar, depicting Lower Silesia at the beginning of the twentieth century. Opposite, at the foot of the Parkowa mountain there is a building called Little Castle, built in 1772, currently a sanatorium. Nearby, there is the dominating block of the Sanatorium Polonia housing, among others, Stanisław Moniuszko Spa Theatre. Next to is a modern aqua park, "Waterworld".

Chapel of Skulls in Kudowa-Zdrój (Czermna)

The interior of the chapel is lined with 3,000 skulls and bones. This is the only such facility in Poland and one of three in Europe. It is one common grave of the victims of the Silesian wars of the years 1740-1742 and 1744-1745, and of infectious diseases from the eighteenth century. Under the floor lie many more (20-30 thousand) human remains. The chapel was built in 1776 by a priest, Wacław Tomaszek, for whom it took eight years to build the chapel, collect remains, carry out disinfection and impregnation and laying of the remains. The chapel is an exceptional example of transience and fragility of humans, in which the remains of old families, friends and foes meet. Once a year, at midnight on 14-15 August, a mass is celebrated in the Chapel of Skulls for all those who died through diseases or as a result of accidents.


 


 

The National Park of the Stolowe Mountains
The Stołowe Mountains are one of the most beautiful and attractive mountain ranges in Poland. There is the National Park of Stołowe Mountains in their surroundings.
The Stołowe Mountains extend from the valley of Bystrzyca Dusznicka on the northwest, and to the region of Mieroszów and Krzeszów, where they have another name: Zawory. The range totals 42 km in length. The north-east end is marked by the Ścinawka river, and the western one by the valleys of the Metua river and its right inlet Jivka (in the Czech Republic). The range of Stołowe Mountains is the only example in Poland of plate mountains, built in the Upper Cretaceous sandstones, lying on two main levels. The sandstones were the bottom of the sea, which as a result of tectonic movements have been elevated to the height of several hundred metres. Between them there are layers of impervious marls.


Marian Sanctuary in Wambierzyce

The Marian Sanctuary in Wambierzyce, called Jerusalem of Lower Silesia, a basilica, the Cavalry with 74 chapels and a mobile nativity scene are a genuine pearl among the monuments of the Kłodzko region.

In the early years of the thirteenth century, blind John of Raszewo regained his sight praying in front of the statue of Mary with the Infant placed on a huge lime tree. News of the miraculous event spread very quickly...


 


... To facilitate the religious practices, a stone altar, a stoup and a candlestick were built at the foot of the tree with the figure (they are now kept in the cloister of the basilica). According to the great encyclopedia by Herder, 200 thousand pilgrims come annually to Wambierzyce. The present church was built between 1715 and 1720. Inside there is a very rich and valuable baroque decoration from the eighteenth century; among others, main and side altars, pulpit, paintings and statues.

The consecration of the church occurred in 1720; in 1725 the sculptor Karol Sebastian Flaker made the main altar and the pulpit. In 1936, Pope Pius XI bestowed the church the title of Minor Basilica.

Książ Castle (Wałbrzych)
The Książ Castle is the largest castle in Lower Silesia, the third largest in Poland and one of the largest in Europe. It is often called the "Pearl of Lower Silesia". This medieval castle is located within the borders of Wałbrzych (a few kilometres north of the city), on the area of the Książ Landscape Park.
Only a part of the building is available to the public (a consequence of the turbulent history of the castle). You can see here very beautiful and rich royal rooms, a tower with a beautiful panorama of the surroundings, terraces with fountains and nice compositions of vegetation, as well as a part of the underground, unfortunately limited for the public (available only with the tour guide). Many temporary exhibitions are available in the castle, mainly of photographs by various authors; an antique shop and cafes located on the visiting routes. A part of the castle serves as a hotel.


 


Książ Castle in Winter

Fortress Srebrna Góra

The fortress Srebrna Góra was built in the 18th century of Fryderyk Wielki according to the project created by the Prussian engineer of Ludwik Wilhelm Regler, modified by King Fryderyk Wielki. The fortess was supposed to secure Silesia captured by Prussia in 1740 militarily. Up to construction of the fortification they chose two towering over the Silver Pass (586 m asl) hills: Fortress (Warownia) Mountain (686 m asl) and of Spurs (627 m asl). The stronghold consists of six forts. Structure of the entire team through 4 up to 4.5 thousand of workers lasted 12 years (1765-1777), and for her the cost amounted to 1 668 000 of thalers (including 70 000 handed over as the "victim" of Silesians)...


... Financing construction provided with the special tax collected in Silesia, called through local with silver-mountain plague. A garrison counting from 2.5 to 3.5 thousand of soldiers according to various sources was predicted. After II world’s war brought progressing devastation to the stronghold, plundered earlier by Soviet armies.  Only in 1965 PTTK and the Command of the Lower Silesia ZHP Flag signed an agreement, on the power which was tidied up the II Corneous Fort and they named him "boy scout".
The fort of Spurs was removed with the help contemporary (1969) ministries of the Mining and they renamed to the Fort "Miner". On the day of 28 June 1974 on the area of the Fort the Donjon was opened museum of heavy firearms.
The fortress Srebrna Góra was recognized as the historical monument with regulation of the president of Poland from 14 April 2004.